Ready to start your baby on solids or currently navigating the journey? The My Baby Now app has got you covered. Designed by infant nutrition experts, the app can assist you in getting started and further strategies as you introduce new foods. See below for one of many recipes sure to make mealtimes simple, enjoyable, and of course, delicious.
So, if you’re looking for an easy, nutritious meal that the whole family will enjoy – look no further than the Sweetcorn and Pea Risotto.
• 1 medium onion (chopped)
• handful frozen peas
• handful of frozen corn kernels
• ½ cup uncooked white rice
• ¼ cup grated cheese (parmesan if you have it)
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs or 1 Tbsp fresh herbs
• 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
1. Pour boiling water over herbs.
2. Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat.
3. Fry onion until soft.
4. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Pour in a little herb water, stirring until the rice absorbs it before adding more herb water.
6. After about 7 minutes, add corn and peas.
7. Continue adding herb water little-by-little and stirring until there is none left, the rice is soft and sticky and the peas and corn are well cooked (about 15 minutes total).
8. Stir in cheese until melted.
9. Mash/purée to required consistency before serving.
Good for: lunches as well as dinner
Storage: use straight away and throw away any unused risotto, do not store – it is generally best not to reheat cooked rice
Note: the simple ingredients mean it’s great for when you haven’t had time to go shopping
Read more about the My Baby Now app in our recent blog post below:
Parents and caregivers with a baby under 6 months old can access the app here: https://is.gd/parentMBN
Did you make this recipe?
Share your thoughts and tag @INFANTProgram on Twitter or Facebook so we can see all the deliciousness!
The evaluation of the INFANT scale-up is funded by an Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Partnership Grant (GNT1161223 2019-24) and VicHealth. Deakin University gratefully acknowledges the Victorian Department of Health for additional funding to enhance the implementation of INFANT across Victoria in 2020-22.