Winter is well and truly here, and we know everyone is starting to feel the chill. Regardless of whether you embrace the cold or are counting down the days until Spring, Winter is the perfect time to get cosy and focus on nourishing yourself and your family.
Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic dish – and this recipe is the perfect way to include lots of veggies into your families meals – especially if you have fussy eaters!
This recipe is simple and can be changed to suit a vegetarian diet.
Good for: the whole family
Storage: freeze or keep in the fridge for up to 2 days, covered
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 500g lean mince (kangaroo, beef, or lamb; vegetarian option: one can of rinsed lentils and a handful of chopped mushrooms)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (grated)
- 1 medium zucchini (grated)
- 1 440g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced tomato purée or paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- packet spaghetti or other dried pasta
- cheese (grated) for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Fry onion, garlic, grated carrot, and zucchini until soft.
- Add mince and break up to brown all pieces thoroughly.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato purée/paste and cinnamon (if using), reduce heat then simmer for 20–30 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the pack.
- Drain water from spaghetti/pasta and mix through sauce.
- Mash/purée to required consistency before serving sprinkled with cheese.
- Freeze unused Bolognese in ice/cupcake trays or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
See our past recipes below or download the My Baby Now App for more recipe inspiration:
Read more about the My Baby Now app in our recent blog post below:
Parents and caregivers with a baby under 12 months old can access the app here:
Did you make this recipe?